Tuesday, October 21, 2008

44 Things I love about being Catholic #4




Honoring The Blessed Mother.....

I have always been drawn to her since I was a young girl. She is such a powerful example of acceptance of God's will. A loving and devoted mom with her Son to the very end. God gave her the task of being the mother of Christ and she stepped up.

. . she is our Mother. As a woman and a mom, she is one powerful role model.

Catholic Catechism 967

By her complete adherence to the Father's will, to his Son's redemptive work, and to every prompting of the Holy Spirit, the Virgin Mary is the Church's model of faith and charity. Thus she is a "preeminent and . . . wholly unique member of the Church"; indeed, she is the "exemplary realization" (typus) of the Church.

Catholic Catechism 968
968 Her role in relation to the Church and to all humanity goes still further. "In a wholly singular way she cooperated by her obedience, faith, hope, and burning charity in the Savior's work of restoring supernatural life to souls. For this reason she is a mother to us in the order of grace."

My patron saint from whom I took my confirmation name is St Bernadette. When I was young, I prayed every night to the Blessed Mother to come see me like she did to Bernadette. Not to sound like a nutcase, I believe she has answered my prayers and made her presence known to me much later in my life......when I needed it most.

What a role model. She said YES to God's call to her. He sent an angel, which had to be scary as heck....

In Luke 1, we read of the foretelling of the birth of Jesus. An angel appeared before Mary.
And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth, To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. Who having heard, was troubled at his saying, and thought with herself what manner of salutation this should be.
And the angel said to her:
Fear not, Mary, for thou hast found grace with God.
Behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and shalt bring forth a son; and thou shalt call his name Jesus.
He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the most High; and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of David his father; and he shall reign in the house of Jacob for ever.
And of his kingdom there shall be no end.





There are some truly beautiful inspired works of art of Mary.........just fantastic. I still need to get my backyard grotto going, just need to get my statue of Mary! I vow to have it by Christmas! My Grandmother had a Mary grotto in her backyard which is a tradition I want to continue. I mean, when I see Mary, I think of how she accepted God's plan for her, day after day as she mothered our Lord Jesus Christ....I have the perfect spot picked out right outside the window - I will be able to see it when I am doing mundane things like dishes and cleaning the kitchen.


My mother had faith in the power of Mary's intercession with her Son....she named my sister after her and dressed her in blue for 7 years to honor her and ask her for strength for Mary Beth...and for my mom. I am hoping that I continue to pass this devotion to my daughter. The cutest thing after Mass is watching Sarah Cate go to the Mary statue outside the church and blow her kisses. I hope she always knows how much Our Blessed Mother loves us.
A GREAT Marian Prayer is the Memorare....so if you need something, ask Mary to help you. She loves us and loves to help us. Its like asking a dear friend to pray for you!
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother;
to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.
Amen.
See you for #5!






No comments: