Saturday, March 15, 2008

Big Brother

I have been thinking alot of my Big Brother lately. He died suddenly of congestive heart failure at the age of 52. I just love him so much and I miss him terribly.

Jack was 11 years older than me. He was my hero when I was small, I thought he was so cool. He shared some great music with me and introduced me to New Wave music. He was in a way a free spirit.......could never see himself in a desk job. He loved people and was great at making them laugh or feel good. He would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it.

People were drawn to him, which is I think part of the reason he ended up marrying so many times. I don't think he had a talent at resolving conflict...he could be so stubborn and self focused....which I think contributes to the breakup of his marriages. But you couldn't help but love the guy.

He was funny and had a sarcastic sense of humor. He told me he loved my sense of humor, we played off eachother well. He loved movies, especially comedies. He loved to go fishing "Free Entertainment". He enjoyed fine dining and like JIll and I loved to talk about food and loved to eat. He was totally addicted to Dunkin Donuts Coolatas.....now I think a part of the reason I love DD coffee so much is it reminds me of Jack.

I hated that he had a super fast metabolism and could eat anything and was skinny as a rail. He had very thick curly hair, mine is straight. I wanted those genes so badly.

When I heard about the tornado that hit downtown last night and saw the pictures of the Peachtree Plaza I thought about Jack and wondered what he would think. He worked at the Plaza when it first opened. So many things happen where I want to call him and ask him what he thinks or give him some smart aleck comment to hear his comback so we could laugh together. Then I remember, I can't call him anymore.

The thing I miss the most is that he doesn't know Sarah. She really has a great uncle...too bad she will never know him on earth.

No comments: