Monday, March 24, 2008

My Favorite Prayer

I thought I would post my favorite prayer today. It reminds me that I need to just give it ALL to God.

Thomas Merton's Prayer

MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. - Thomas Merton, "Thoughts in Solitude"

***********************
Easter is here Alleluiah! I was a very poor example of a Catholic giving up things this lent. I wanted to give up so much, but I am weak and totally caved. I did make it with the Red Meat which we did as a family...well except that one day I ate the Nachos with Everything...a simple mistake.

I know giving up things for Lent is just an exercise in self discipline which obviously I have some work I need to do. I know even if I say "I am giving up sweets for you" and then I cave, while that may not be a mortal sin, it certainly doesn't say anything about my willing to sacrifice things for God.

I really like this prayer as it asks God to please remember I want to please You. Perhaps if I keep saying that the discipline to be stronger at my "promises" will become easier. I could say "next year......" but you know I don't have to only give up things as a form of sacrifice and prayer during Lent.

No comments: