Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hospice Move - Music and St Joseph

My dad's move went very well today. He is still at the same hospital, but they moved him to a hospice room. Sure, its still a hospital room, but they will now focus on keeping him comfortable. The people taking care of him are fantastic, he is in a good place. It was nice we didn't have to move him to another facility.


Dad and I had a nice afternoon listening to music. I had my Ipod Touch at the hospital and was connected to youtube.com through the hospital's wifi. I put one ear phone in dad and one in me...it was nice listening together. Dad was born in 1926 and a big band fanatic. We grew up listening to lots of great bands and arrangements. I picked out some songs that dad likes...he was singing along and even if his eyes were closed he was tapping his feet in rhythm. We listened to a bunch of Glenn Miller,a favorite being Moonlight Serenade, String of Pearls and Little Brown Jug. Also enjoyed some Tommy Dorsey, "I'm getting sentimental over you". One of his favorite arrangements is the song Moonglow with the theme from the movie Picnic - I think Moonglow is actually his favorite song. The cool think about some of the songs we got on youtube was that they were old 78's which is how dad listened in his youth. We also listened to some hymns and when I played Jesu Man's Joy of Desiring from Celtic Woman, I just cried a river, its so beautiful...and one of dad's favorite hymns. Actually Celtic woman does a beautiful Danny Boy....dad was lip syncing on that one with his eyes closed and a VERY peaceful look on his face. My sister is taking him a CD player and stopped by his place to get some of his tunes, so he will be able to listen when he wants.


The best thing about him being in a hospice room is that they are taking out the nasal tube draining his stomach....well they will see how he does. They are also going to try untying his hands which has been the hardest part of seeing him.....restrained...for his own good, but still it broke my heart. His hands are very swollen and they are trying to help that as well. He keeps asking to go walking which is hard to know that he is so weak he can't stand up...but the doctor told me with hospice care, they will do their best to give them the joy they seek. Hopefully unrestrained he won't try to get up and fall down. I don't want him in any more pain.


Thanks for your prayers, please keep them coming.


St Joseph the earthly Father of Jesus is the patron saint for the dying. Please ask him to come to my dad's aid for a peaceful death and that my dad will be taken to heaven. As Catholics, we ask the Saints to pray for us just the same as we ask our friends.

Prayer to Saint Joseph for a Happy Death

O Blessed Joseph, you gave your last breath in the loving embrace of Jesus and Mary. When the seal of death shall close Jack's life, come with Jesus and Mary to aid him. Obtain for Jack this solace for that hour - to die with their holy arms around him. Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I commend my soul, living and dying, into your sacred arms. Amen.

2 comments:

Lori said...

sounds like such a special day!
still praying...

donna said...

Praying with you.