Friday, August 15, 2008

The Golden Ghetto







When I was growing up, Sandy Springs where I now live was referred to as the Golden Ghetto.....there were VERY nice expensive homes and lots of cheap apartments....not lots in between. This was before Sandy Springs was a city, just a community in unincorporated Fulton County. We went to the park a couple weeks ago and I remembered the name ....the swing in the city park had certainly seen better days, but duct tape does wonders. Sarah didn't seem to notice at all though. I didn't really let her swing for long, the duct tape made me nervous.


Meanwhile we go to another park this week in Roswell and I see they are putting in a water play area with fountains - which makes me so jealous as my town has swings fixed with duct tape. Ok Sandy Springs now that we are a city, can we please just keep the swings in our parks in nice working order without the duct tape.....I know we are a new city and everything, but its downright embarassing to be in a neighborhood next to homes close to 1 million while your daughter rides a swing that has been fixed with duct tape, then again this is the South and you never know what you will see.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was in the original group of Golden Ghetto children, graduating from Sandy Springs High School in 1965. We were the first of the now "wealth gap creating" generation known as Baby Boomers. I remember when the tagline was written in the Atlanta Journal and wondered just what it meant to live in a Golden Ghetto. I'm glad you are finding it a great place to raise your family.

Sally Gilson