Friday, August 8, 2008

Opening Ceremonies....a reminder of Athens

Tonight is the opening ceremonies for the Summer Games in Beijing. Its a bittersweet reminder of how 4 years ago I was in the hospital 23w5 days pregnant when the Athens Games opened. I went into labor the day before and they had my contractions under control, so I laid in the bed in the hospital with instructions not to get out of bed. I was laying with the bed tilted so my feet were above my head, it was gradual, but to try to have gravity pull Caleb back into the womb...his foot was in my birth canal.

I tried to watch the opening ceremonies last olympics, but the medication I was on to stop the contractions and relax my uterus had me seeing double. I was also quite the sweat box. I remember thinking that at least if I was stuck in the hospital, I had something to watch on TV as I love the Olympics, though at times I was seeing double so it wasn't easy.

I will be watching the opening ceremonies tonight and while I don't have my sweet boy with me, I will know my daughter, my miracle baby, is safe and asleep in her crib. Thank you God for giving me both my children, I pray for peace - for our family, my friends and for the world. Sadly it looks like Russia is mad at Georgia and has started some kind of attack. The world can be such a sad and scary place. Peace Lord. To me the Olympics are a reminder that we are all really the same and how life takes perserverance and dedication. Now, I will never be a gold medalist, but I sure can practice perseverance in what I do and how I live my life.

I spent an hour in Adoration this morning with Sarah Cate...who was pretty good for an almost 2 year old trapped in the chapel while mom prayed. I was struck today with the fact I need to practice patience to endure lifes so not easy times.....

I came across this Mark Shultz song and thought of Andy and Caleb. When I had Caleb, it became evident how blessed I was with such a wonderful husband and Father. I never have seen Andy pray as much, and he would read me prayers from my prayer book and from the bible as I fell asleep. Thank you God for that - such a special thing to see during the hardest time in my life. Andy spent more time in the NICU with Caleb than me he loved his son so much - and he still does.

If you want to hear the long, so open the link...you might want a tissue...

He's My Son by Mark Shulz

I'm down on my knees again tonight
I'm hoping this prayer will turn out right
See there is a boy that needs Your help
I've done all that I can do myself
His mother is tired
I'm sure You can understand
Each night as he sleeps
She goes in to hold his hand
And she tries not to cry
As the tears fill her eyes

CHORUS:
Can You hear me?
Am I getting through tonight?
Can You see him?
Can You make him feel all right?
If You can hear me
Let me take his place somehow
See, he's not just anyone
He's my son

Sometimes late at night I watch him sleep
I dream of the boy he'd like to be
I try to be strong and see him through
But God who he needs right now is You
Let him grow old
Live life without this fear
What would I be
Living without him here
He's so tired and he's scared
Let him know that You're there

CHORUS

Can You hear me?
Can You see him?
Please don't leave him
He's my son

1 comment:

Karen said...

I love that song! You're right--it will make you cry ...

Thinking of you ((HUGS))